It often happens that when we try logging in to a Google account after some time, we end up forgetting the password. What makes the situation worse is that the same password is also used to log into Gmail, one of the most popular email platform across the world. More dangerous can be that your Google (or Gmail) account gets hacked and the hacker changes the password. While some people use third-party apps to store all their passwords at a single location, many of us don’t. So how do you get your password back or create a new one? Just follow these simple steps to get access back of your Google account.
1. Click on ‘Forgot password?’ on the Google login page.Read more ↓
2. Enter the last password that you remember. If you don’t remember than click on the ‘Try another way’ option.
3. Google will then ask if it can send a verification notification on your smartphone that is associated with the account.
4. If you don’t have your phone number near you, Google will try sending you a verification code on the alternate email ID. In case you don’t have an alternate email ID, click on ‘Try another way’ once again.
5. Google will ask you for ANY email ID (that is accessible by you) where it can contact you. Once shared, a verification code will be sent to that email ID.
6. Once received, fill the code in Google’s dialogue box.
7. Once done, you will be able to access your Gmail or Google account.
It’s recommended that you change the password once you log in and store it somewhere safe that is accessible easily. You can also use third-party apps like LastPass to save all your passwords securely. You can also click/tap on ‘Save password’ when you log in to any service in Chrome. This way, Google saves your password and recommends it the next time you open the service. Apple has a similar tech called ‘iCloud Keychain’.