Indian Railways has certain luggage carrying rules under which each passenger is permitted a free allowance. This is the weight limit up to which the passenger can carry luggage in the compartment without paying additional charges. The free allowance varies for different classes of travel, according to Indian Railways’ website, indianrail.gov.in. However, passengers can book and carry excess luggage beyond the free allowance limits in the compartment based on the booking class. Such luggage is chargeable at 1.5 times the applicable luggage rate, according to the Indian Railway website.
Here are the key things to know about luggage rules of Indian Railways:
1. Here are the free allowance and paid allowance limits applicable to carriage of luggage in the compartment, according to indianrail.gov.in:Read more ↓
|Class||Free Allowance||Marginal Allowance||Maximum quantity permitted (including free allowance)|
|AC First Class||70 Kgs||15 Kgs||150 Kgs|
|AC 2-Tier sleeper/First class||50 Kgs||10 Kgs||100 Kgs|
|AC 3-tier sleeper/AC chair car||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||40 Kgs|
|Sleeper class||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||80 Kgs|
|Second class||35 Kgs||10 Kgs||70 Kgs|
2. Trunks, suitcase and boxes having outside measurement of 100 cms x 60 cms x 25 cms (length x breadth x height) will be allowed to be carried in the passenger compartments as personal luggage. If the trunks, suitcases and boxes, which in outside measurement exceed any one of the dimension, such articles are required to be booked and carried in the brake van, according to the Railways website.
3. However, the maximum size of the trunk/suitcase that can be carried in the AC 3 tier and AC chair car compartment is 55 cms x 45 cms x 22.5 cms.
4. The luggage of larger dimension is to be carried only via a brake van for which the minimum charge is Rs. 30. There is no restriction on carriage of luggage in brake van of passenger trains as far as quantity and type (personal or merchandise) of luggage is concerned.
5. Children aged five and below 12 years are allowed half of the free allowance subject to the maximum of 50 kgs, according to railway’s website.