New Delhi: Everyday, lakhs of passengers book their train tickets online from Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) website (www.irctc.co.in). Railways’ tourism and catering arm IRCTC offers an insurance cover of up to Rs 10 lakh at a premium of just 49 paise. This insurance cover is for passengers travelling on a valid ticket.
The scheme is applicable only for Indian citizens who book their e-ticket through NGeT website application only. Citizens of foreign countries are not eligible for this scheme. The scheme is optional, however, if the option is exercised it will be compulsory for all passengers booked under one PNR number. The premium of 49 paise per passenger is inclusive of all taxes.Read more ↓
Terms & conditions of the scheme:
- Customer shall receive the policy information through SMS and on their registered email IDs directly from insurance companies along with the link for filling nomination details. However, the policy number can be viewed from ticket booked history at IRCTC Page.
- After the booking of ticket, the nomination details to be filled at the respective insurance company site. If nomination details are not filled then the settlement shall be made with legal heirs, if the claim arises.
- The coverage for the policy shall be for each passenger under the PNR in case of death, permanent total disability, permanent partial disability, and hospitalization expenses for Injury and transportation of mortal remains following rail accident or untoward incident.
- The optional travel insurance will not be provided for the children below 5 years of age. In case of passenger opting for insurance, the claim/liability shall be between insured and the insurance company.
- In case of short termination of trains due to any reason, if the passenger opts for the alternate mode of transportation arranged by railway up to the destination station, then this part of the journey of the passenger shall also be covered under the policy taken by the passenger.
- In case of diversion of train due to any reason, the coverage shall be for the diverted route. In case of vikalp train, the policy obtained by the passenger for covering the journey in the original train shall be valid in the vikalp train also.
- Once the premium is paid by the passengers, no cancellation is allowed. Accordingly, no refund of premium will be made in all cases including waitlisted ticket.
- The coverage for hospitalization expenses for injury is over and above the death/permanent total disability/partial disability.